REDI’s approach to educational programs is based on an active focus for our programs which emphasizes the involvement of professionals currently active in the industry and giving students direct exposure to active developments through guest speakers and site visits. This is achieved by:
- Curriculum that gives students exposure to the day to day realities and experience of working or participating in real estate related activities.
- Instructors who are senior practitioners currently working in the field.
- Guest Speakers who are industry experts willing to bring a variety of real life examples and stories to the classroom.
- Site visits to active development projects.
REDI designs courses that address the unique needs of our students and clients and obtains the support of senior development industry players in delivering them.
CURRENT PUBLICLY AVAILABLE PROGRAMS
The University of Calgary Real Estate Certificate Program
REDI is responsible for curriculum design and delivery, instructor selection, supervision and payment and overall quality control for this program. Courses can be taken individually or towards a Certificate. Achieving a certificate requires a student to successfully complete seven 18 hour courses related to real estate.
In 2016/17 the following courses are being offered:
- Real Estate Development and the Planning Process
- Commercial Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Development and Finance
- Mixed Use Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Marketing
- Sales Management and Strategies in Real Estate
- Advanced Finance and Corporate Legal Structures
Additional courses dealing with Master Planned Communities and Multi Residential Development are in preparation.
Courses are led by senior leaders from the development industry municipal administration and related professions and include a range of guest speakers including senior development industry executives, local politicians and consultants who bring real life examples of their challenges and success to the classroom.
Details of these courses including videos of the Instructors explaining the content and purpose of each course are available at: Please put link to http://conted.ucalgary.ca/public/category/courseCategoryCertificateProfile.do?method=load&certificateId=1706246&selectedProgramAreaId=10520
CUSTOM DESIGNED MUNICIPAL PROGRAMS
REDI designed a unique course in response to a request from Senior Management in a major municipality for assistance in improving the working relationship between Municipal and Development Industry staff. Development of this course involved three key steps:
- A survey of Municipal Planning Staff and selected Development Industry Staff to see how each group viewed a number of matters. This provided key learnings such as that Planners and Developers had completely different understanding of the meaning of the words “short term”.
- A meeting with Planners to discuss what they wanted to achieve from such a course. The key responses were - how does a Developer conceive a project; what is involved in financing development; how to reconcile City Policy and Market realities and how does time impact a development.
- Gaining the support and commitment of Senior Development Industry players to teach a 12 hour course during the business day.
REDI is currently in the second year of delivering an in house program to municipal staff involved in providing the full range of real estate services to a major municipality. This included Planners, Project Managers, Appraisers, Sales and Acquisition staff and Administrative Personnel.
The course was developed by:
- Surveying the staff with a list of all the programs offered by REDI in the University Real Estate Certificate Program and requesting them to rank their interest in each one, resulting in selection of four modules.
- Focus Groups helped determine the components of the individual modules to ensure that the curriculum addressed the unique requirements of a Municipal Department that is required to act as a “private” real estate developer.
- Developing alternate teaching schedules that reflect the unique needs of the municipal staff..
For further details of these custom designed courses and the REDI approach to creating and delivering them please fill in the contact request at http://www.redialberta.ca/contact/.